Tasmanian Conveyor Solutions Pty Ltd use Calyco for Silicon Carbide which includes Reaction Bonded SiC and Nitride Bonded SiC that provides superior wear, corrosion and shock resistance as well as Silicon Carbide SiC that displays an extremely high corrosion resistance in acidic and basic media, which is also maintained up to very high temperatures.
Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide is a type of silicon carbide that is manufactured by a chemical reaction between a porous carbon or graphite with molten silicon. Reaction Bonded SiC resists wear and provides excellent chemical, oxidation and thermal shock resistance for mining and industry equipment.
Tasmanian Conveyor Solutions Pty Ltd use Calyco Mining Equipment Supplies Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide for beams, burner tubes, wear liners, kiln shelves, thermocouple sheaths, burner nozzles at mining and other industrial facilities throughout Australia.
Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide for Kiln Furniture and Support Components
- The high temperature strength, oxidation resistance and thermal shock resistance of Reaction Bonded SiC enables the manufacturer of low mass kiln supports. Kiln products include thin walled beams, posts, setters, burner nozzles and rolls. The components lower the thermal mass of kiln cars, result in energy savings and provide the possibility for faster product throughput.
Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide for Wear Parts and Thrust Bearings
- Wear resistance, high temperature strength and corrosion resistance make Reaction Bonded SiC an ideal material for wear components, such as screws, plates and impellers. It can also be used in thrust bearings that can carry extremely high loads in heavily contaminated liquids.
Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide for Mechanical Seals and Vanes
- Reaction Bonded SiC can be used in mechanical seals and pump vanes with high abrasion resistance.
Reaction Bonded Silicon Carbide for Precision Components
- The negligible volume change after reacting with liquid silicon means that components can be formed with complex shapes and to exacting tolerances. The components are lightweight and stiff with excellent thermal stability.
Silicon Carbide SiC Features:
- • Superior Resistance to wear
- • Resistance to corrosion; the material tolerates a wide range of acids and alkalis
- • Resistance to oxidation
- • Abrasion / Corrosion resistance
- • Excellent thermal shock characteristics
- • Strength at high temperature up to 1380°C
- • Good dimensional control of complex shapesSilicon Carbide SiC Benefits:
- • Excellent oxidation resistance
- • Improved performance
- • Longer life between replacement / rebuilds
- • High thermal conductivity
Silicon Carbide SiC Specifications:
|Density||g/cm³||3.1 – 3.2|
|Open porosity||%||≤1.56 – 1.66|
|Bending strength||MPa||250 ( 20 c )|
|MPa||280 ( 1200 c )|
|Modulus of elasticity||GPa||330 ( 20 c )|
|GPa||300 ( 1200 c )|
|Thermal conductivity||W/m.k||45 ( 1200 c )|
|Coefficient of thermal expansion||K-1 x 10-6||4.5|
|Acid proof alkaline||Excellent|
|Thickness||+ / - 1.0 mm|
|Length / Width||+ / - 1.5 mm|
Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide is made by firing mixtures of high purity silicon carbide and silicon or a mineral additive in a nitrogen atmosphere at high temperature. Nitride Bonded SiC resists wear and provides excellent abrasion and thermal shock resistance for mining and industry equipment.
Cast NB Sic has excellent shape capabilities and can be easily cast into complex shapes with a high level of accuracy and a quality surface finish. Casting methods allow duplication of metal castings exactly.
Tasmanian Conveyor Solutions Pty Ltd use Calyco Mining Equipment Supplies Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide for cyclone liners, slurry pump, coal burner, exhaust and pulveriser parts as well as other corrosion resistant components found at mining and other industrial facilities throughout Australia.
Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide Bricks
- Exploiting the material's excellent stability and mechanical strength, nitride bonded silicon carbide bricks are used in a range of process furnaces and kilns such as the sidewalls of aluminium melting pots, the lower stack of blast furnaces, and as kiln furniture.
Nitride Bonded Silicon Carbide for Cast Refractories
- Nitrogen bonded silicon carbide is commonly found as a cast refractory for use under severe service conditions in place of alloys or other refractory materials.
• Cyclone liners used in processing minerals and coal and in the chemical and paper industries.
• Slurry pump parts for mineral processing and specialty chemical industries. Component lives are increased by between two and twenty times compared with metal and elastomeric materials.
• Coal burner, exhaust and pulveriser parts for use in the power generation industry.
• Corrosion resistant components for chemical plants.
• Pump components, piping liners, valve liners, spigots and nozzles.
• Non-ferrous metals processing equipment, copper, zinc and aluminium are routinely handled with cast components.
• Kiln furniture with increased life and stability.
Cast nitride bonded silicon carbide has excellent wear properties with sliding abrasion at low angle impingement and slurries. Cast NB Sic often out performs rubber and hard metallic liners by factors ranging from 3:1 to 25:1, depending on application conditions.
Thermal Shock Resistance:
Very good shock resistance is attributed to Cast NB Sic high temperature strength, low thermal expansion and high thermal conductivity.
Nitride Bonded SiC Typical Physical Properties:
|Maximum use temperature||Celsius||1450|
|Bulk density||g/cm^3||2.75 -2.85|
|Porosity||%||≤ 13 %|
|Modulus of rupture @ 20°c||MPa||170-180|
|Modulus of rupture @ 1200°c||MPa||180|
|Modulus of rupture @ 1350°c||Mpa||190|
|Thermal conductivity @ 1200°c||W/m.k||19.6|
|Thermal expansion resistance @ 1200°c||Excellent|
Nitride Bonded SiC Typical Analysis:
Sintered Silicon Carbide SiC is produced using very fine powder containing sintering additives. It is processed using forming methods typical of other ceramics and sintered at 2000 to 2200 Celsius in an inert gas atmosphere. Calyco SSIC is distinguished by high strength that stays nearly constant up to very high temperatures ( approximately 1600 Celsius ) maintaining that strength over longer periods.
These (SSIC) silicon carbide properties are outstanding among high temperature ceramics and are complimented by high thermal shock resistance, high thermal conductivity, high resistance to wear and hardness close to diamond.
Tasmanian Conveyor Solutions Pty Ltd use Calyco Mining Equipment Supplies Sintered Silicon Carbide SiC for slip ring seals in chemical pumps, bearing bushes, high temperature burner nozzles and kiln furniture for high temperature applications at mining and other industrial facilities throughout Australia.
Sintered Silicon Carbide SiC Features:
- • Lightweight
- • High density
- • As cast tight dimensional tolerances
- • High creep resistance
- • Superior wear resistance
- • Corrosion resistant
- • Excellent oxidation and erosion resistance
- • Maximum use temperature to 1600°C.
Range of Products:
- Finished Sintered Silicon Carbide parts with advanced grinding
- Unfinished Sintered Silicon Carbide parts
- Machined Sintered Silicon Carbide casts
- Pressed Sintered Silicon Carbide casts with net dimension
- Complex fine machined parts.
|Maximum use temperature||Celsius||1600|
|Modulus of elasticity||GPa||420-450|
|Coefficient of thermal expansion||K-1 x 10-6||4.1|
|Vicker hardness HV10||GPa||22|
|Acid proof alkaline||Excellent|